What is Domestic Violence?
Domestic violence is a serious crime that creates a very difficult legal situation. Women with abusive spouses are often reluctant to press charges for fear of retribution.
The legal definition of domestic violence is:
“Any abusive, violent, coercive, forceful, or threatening act or word inflicted by one member of a family or household on another”
Domestic Violence Can Include:
- Insults or put-downs in public or in front of others
- Constant name calling, trying to wear down or degrade someone
- Preventing you from seeing or talking to friends and family
- Blaming the violence, fighting and discord on the victim
- Apologizing profusely to never let it happen again, but it does
- Threatening to hurt you, your family, children or loved ones
- Forcing a partner to have sex
- Punching, hitting, pushing, choking, kicking, slapping, biting and pinching
Too often, people feel trapped in violent homes because they feel they have nowhere to turn — however, you can always turn to the Law Offices of Jeffery K. Rubenstein. Feel free to contact our firm 24 hours a day (310)477-2100.
We won’t just help you with the legal paperwork — we’ll do everything we can to keep you safe and protected. We will:
- Connect you with women’s shelters where you can stay.
- Help you file a restraining order against your spouse.
- Aid you with divorce proceedings.
- Help you press assault and domestic violence charges.
We are your comprehensive resource in your hour of need, so know that you can turn to our lawyers any time.
California’s Strong Anti-Domestic Violence Laws:
- Provide up to $2,000 in relocation assistance to abused spouses.
- Weigh custody battles so that children are unlikely to remain with an abusive spouse.
- Provide job security so that you cannot lose your job while taking shelter from domestic abuse.
- Make arrests mandatory in restraining order violations.
If you are in an abusive relationship, you should know that the law is on your side, and so are the lawyers at our firm. We will provide you with excellent, first-rate legal counsel, as well as connect you with local resources to keep you and your children safe while you proceed with legal action.